8.11.05

8 November 1991, Friday.



I was awoken by the noise of the people who ran the guest house, it was 9:30am, which is a bit of a bummer because I was supposed to be up at 7am, for an early start to Ciregon, where there is a bank, so that I can change up some travellers cheques. Oh well, tida masala(no problem).
I got up, had a mandi(wash), got dressed. Yunis turned up, and we caught the first bus that came along.
The bus driver's aren't dangerous enough apparently, quite scary at times. We got to Ciregon in about an hour, we then ate breakfast, and then found a bank where I changed $100.
We then caught another bus to the port of Merek, where ferries went to Sumartra. We went to a mangrove swamp, cool. Then saw a whole group of mountains that were completely deforested, and then a huge coal fueled power station. All around there was death, from this monstrousity, but it didn't seem to bother Yunis. I was very depressed and angry when seeing this, and for the first time since getting here, my smile disapeared.
We went back to Merek town centre, and Yunis took me to another prostitutes house, I got latched onto by this really hidious one, and Yunis couldn't understand my face pulling, so I had to make myself perfectly clear. I took a photo of Yunis with a girl he really fancied, and then we went.
Headed back to Ciregon, where we had to catch another bus back to Labuhan. We got back at about 6:30pm, I was really hungry, so we ate in the warung and then I went to Asna's house.
We arranged to go to the pictures tonight, so I went back to the Raitha losmen, had a mandi and changed my clothes. Met back up with Asna, Yunis and a friend of Asna's and all caught motorbike taxi's to the cinema in Labuhan. I wasn't scared enough though, hmmm, just kept remembering my motorbike accident in Spain a couple of years ago.
I paid the taxi drivers and the cinema tickets, the film was in Indonesian, the quality was terrible and the plot was completely obvious, but Asna held my hand all the way through the film, so I enjoyed it immensely.
We went back to Asna's on rick-shaw thingy's, I don't quite know what they are called. That was lovely, the culture is so different here, you can't kiss or show emotion in public here. Its a bit of a battle really, Asna only speaks Indonesian, and I only speak a minute amount of Indonesian, but I'm learning. Took Asna home, no kissing goodnight in Indonesia, so said goodbye at around 11:45pm.
Walking back through the village, I noticed that the locals were playing with what seemed to be a huge lizard, but on closer examination, was an anteater, or pangolin. They had put a nail through its tail and tied rope to it, they kept it staked to different places to eat the ants. The kids were teasing it, and scared of it, it was horrible to watch, so I offered to buy it, without a thought. After some bartering, I walked away with the pangolin for 20000rp, they saw me coming.
She is lovely, and without a willy, obviously a girl, I had to check. I am going to take her up into the forest tomorrow morning and release her back into the wild.
While walking back to the losmen, we came across a dead snake in the road, it was called a ground snake, was about 2ft long and brown, and was apparently very poisonous.
Got back to the guest house, and tied up the pangolin to a small tree within the grounds outside my room.
I'm going to call my pangolin Anass, she's lovely.
Goodnight.

16 Comments:

Blogger Model citizen said...

I really enjoy these posts. I feel like I'm right there!

8:14 pm  
Blogger musicmikey said...

Hi Jessica, I'm glad of the company, it all feel's a bit weird for me.

8:49 pm  
Blogger lryicsgrl said...

Can you believe this spam. so irritating!

Mikey,
I have to tell you that it's weird not to really KNOW someone but know that they have a good soul.
Thank you for saving that anteater. You are my personal hero for that!!!
Thank you for expressing your sadness at seeing a part of the country that was being "raped and pillaged".
Looking forward to hearing you preform again. I had My Way in my head today.

11:56 pm  
Blogger Kara said...

You're a good man to have rescued that anteater.

2:12 am  
Blogger Kevin Seegan said...

Sorry I diddin't have time to read, but is that a pengolin in the bottom picture? I heard that their blood is a delicasy in the south pacific area. I saw a thing on TV where a few guys were arrested for trying to kill some, and luckily the pengolins were unharmed. I like the journal a lot so far!

-Kevin

P.S. I'll read it later!

4:40 am  
Blogger musicmikey said...

Hi Lzygrl, I know exactly what you mean, and I thankyou for your applause. It was horrible to see, anyway, it was actually some of the only devasted area's I ever saw, I suppose even in paradise they need electricity and wood.
Thankyou darlin, I'm loving my way too.
Hi Kara, I just could stand to see her tormented by them children, although from what Kevin says, they could have sold him for his blood, how horrible.
Your right Kevin, I thought it was spelt Pangolin, but I'm no hot shot speller, how horrible mate, I never saw that anywhere, sounds about right though, I know that they eat fruit bat in Indonesia. I wonder why the eat it's blood though. Tell me everything you know about it mate, I love all this. Keep on truckin'
mikey

1:54 pm  
Blogger Nabonidus said...

I can't wait for the next entry : Did
you release the girl pengolin like you were going to? Or is that in the upcoming entry?

BTW, a note on Asna: The sad expression on her face in the candlelight picture
tugged at my heart! I wonder how she is now? Maybe she didn't mean to look sad,
maybe it just emanates from her without
her realizing it.Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what it seemed like to me.
Her face definitely got to me.

3:37 pm  
Blogger Nabonidus said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:40 pm  
Blogger musicmikey said...

Hey Lisa, it got to me too, I was going to marry her, I wonder sometimes where she is or even if she's still alive. She was terribly poor, and her mother was really old, you'll find out in the next entry, what you asked.
Isn't that picture amazing, it truly show's the magic light of that time, sitting by candlight talking broken Indonesian in her little hut in Carita.
Well, I could have married her, but thankfully I didn't, returned home to England and started making music. I used to sing before, and write songs, but when I came back from Indonesia I got a guitar and played around with it, like I still am today.
Thanks for your comment.
mikey

4:26 pm  
Blogger Nabonidus said...

Hey Mikey,
Maybe it's best if we just remember her the way she was, I mentioned in a previous section ( november 5?) that
her face made me wish I was a great painter, she is so beautiful. I almost
said "was" and then decided to keep it current. It's horrible, tragic, to imagine what may have happened. I don't want to think of her looking old before her time,working too hard, or worse. We both know where a lot of women in dire circumstances can wind up.
I think I could almost cry if I think about that particular outcome for her. I'm probably too sensitive. But she moved me. If I were gay, or a man,
I would probably have fallen instantly in love with her.I could see why you
would think of marrying her.
Thanks for responding to me about this. I'm glad you understood about the way that picture made me feel.

4:54 pm  
Blogger Nabonidus said...

Hope you don't mind my writing an epilogue, but here is what I am going to tell myself happened to Asna:

One day a handsome, nice young man came along, not too long after you left. She realized he was her true love, and he realized the same about her.
They married, and he just happened to have a lot of money. They went traveling around
the world, she saw many new and exciting things, then came home and settled into a nice, comfortable home and lifestyle. The mother, who was really old but still a tough cookie, moved in with
them. Eventually they had children,
and they live happily ever after in Indonesia/America/Canada. Asna now looks back on her youth and it seems like another lifetime ago. The sadness that she once radiated is now replaced with an emanation of fulfillment, of joy being a mother of happy, healthy children, and making a better life for her own mother.
This is what I hope happened for Asna, and I am going to tell myself that this DID happen.Maybe it really did, who knows? Hope you don't mind my writing all that.

5:19 pm  
Blogger musicmikey said...

Thankyou Lisa, we both saw the same thing, your a brillant correspondant. Musn't think the worst though, the imagination is always far worse than reality.
Thankyou though for caring, this show's you are a beautiful soul.
mikey

5:21 pm  
Blogger musicmikey said...

Hey Lisa, just read what you wrote about Asna's probable future, and it is lovely, I hope she is happy wherever or whatever she is doing, I hope she is well, and still as beautiful as she was.
Thankyou for blessing her.
mikey

5:25 pm  
Blogger Nabonidus said...

Aw, thank you, Mikey, for the kind words and understanding. Now post that next entry, I'm dying to know what happens next! When you have time, of course. : )

Lisa

5:54 pm  
Blogger Dale said...

Dear Mikey

You are a man after my own heart!

It literally brought tears to my eyes when I read about your kind treatment of that poor, abused & helpless anteater. Whether they "saw you coming" or not, it was a deed worth far more than a mere 20000rp!
When in Fiji, I took a longboat tour through a mangrove swamp. They are pretty amazing.
The clearcut in Sumatra sounds quite disturbing. I live in the mountains where the softwood lumber industry is very prominent. It employs many people & could be considered the lifeblood of our province. Unfortunately, the clearcuts are growing daily. I feel as though we are caught between a rock & a hard place.
(At least forestry is a renewable resource, but very slow in renewing itself).

Cheers
Dale

PS An Ass? LOL!

10:24 pm  
Blogger Kevin Seegan said...

Well, thats about all I know about them. Except, the scales on them are actually hairs that are stuck together. Their legs are so strong that they can break a human leg bone. Apparently, they are now endangered in China and in other countries, I think people make boots and belts out of them. Like they do to armadillos in southern United States (those bastards). It is a real shame, I would hate to see something as beautiful as that be wiped from the face of the earth. As you can see, when I see something interesting on TV, I remember it. Probably why I am so good at history. I think you spelled it right, by the way. Well,thats all I know about pangolins, I hope its sufficient information. Keep on truckin'!

P.S. I finally have pictures up.

11:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home