5 November 1991, Tuesday.

I awoke at around 9:30am, to find everyone gone, I went to go into the main building, where the toilet and wash area was located, but the door was locked. I search around and found another exterior toilet, why didn't they tell me about that one yesterday when I checked in? ( just reading that back, I sound like a pompus aristocrat, or maybe just a prat)
Later we are sitting outside the room at the Raitha losmen drinking coffee, trying to reason with the tropical rain, relentless this morning. Or not completely, cause it stopped.
But before all that, after getting up and found the outside bathroom, I washed, washed my shirt and shorts and then headed to the warung (cafe) for my breakfast. I finished my food and the heavens opened, so on invitation I went next door with Yunis, who had joined me at the warung. There were four or five guys living there, they got a guitar out, and we all played and sung, bagus(good).
Then I went to Asna's house for a few hours, I actually stayed til 6pm, just doing much the same as yesterday really.
I returned to the guest house, had a mandi(wash), then went out with Yunis and Ursala to eat. Had some great food, and whilst walking back, I saw an eel swimming in a small pool connected to rice paddy. We stopped off at Yunis's house, well actually its an old hotel, Yunis and a few of his friends stay in, anyway, we went back there and played some cards.
Then Yunis took something out of his pocket, and placed it on the table in front of him. I looked at it and saw a reflection, from a black part, then went mad cause I realised it was a massive hairy spider, although dead, it was mighty freeky. I couldn't talk or sit down, it was that nice. Really, thanks Yunis mate, Hmmm.
Went back to Raitha losmen soon after, got ready for bed, lights out. Then Ursula called out, I shone my torch over, she said that there was something under her bed. I slowly crawled out of my protective mosquito net, bent down and shone my torch under Ursula's bed, and there it was, a big green lizard about 2ft long, but it was spooked by the torch and ran up behind Ursula's head board. She was really scared, and asked me to remove it.
Being the gent that I am, I accepted the challenge, put my thick hiking socks over my hands and grabbed it. The thing went mad, hissing and trying to bite me, I held it at arms length, and threw it out of the door. What a hero, eh?
Then I teased the poor girl, by saying that the lizard would probably be waiting above the door outside, until she had to go to the toilet in the night, and then it would strike, and eat her alive. I was laughing so much, but she couldn't see the funny side.
Oh yeah, and I have a rash, that I got yesterday, its spread though, its now on my neck and arms, I hope I'm ok. Salamat malam (goodnight).


Blogger Kara said...

Just wanted to let you know I'm enjoying your journal, sounds like you had quite an adventure!
Thanks for sharing it with us :)

1:58 am  
Blogger musicmikey said...

Thankyou Kara, all part of the rich tapestry of my life, but great because I have forgotten very much of it, so its a real suprise sometimes, making the memories flood back. Thankyou for reading and commenting Kara.

6:09 pm  
Blogger Nabonidus said...

Hi Mikey,
Glad I made it over to the Indonesian journal...
Whomever the girl is in the middle picture, how beautiful she is! I love that picture, kind of reminds me of the
incredible photos you see in National Geographic.What a face!

If you only knew how great this is for someone like me to read and see these things, I've never been anywhere outside the U.S. except for Mexico.
Your descriptions and photos are so good that I almost feel like I'm there!
Hopefully someday I'll be a world traveler, sigh...

3:24 pm  
Blogger Nabonidus said...

Aha! Mystery solved in the next entry, november 6, Asna! Who does indeed look so stunning in the candlight, makes me wish I had the skills of a great painter.

3:28 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home