1.12.05

1 December 1991, Sunday.



Awoke at, I don't really know what time. Got up and had some breakfast, and then sat around in the morning sun. I started drawing the scene outside Aman's house, with the women talking, and houses, when Aman came out and said, "ok, we are going fishing now", so rude, get over it mikey.
We walked to his favourite spot, I sat next to him while he fished, then he gave me the fishing rod, and asked if I wanted to fish, actually that doesn't sound like him, he probably said, "you fish now", but anyway, I cast the float out a little way and sat quietly staring at the motionless float. He snatched the rod out of my hands and said, "no, over here" and pointed further out, he cast the rod out again. I got up and walked off quickly, it was either that or I was going to have to push him in.
I enjoyed the time on my own, the countryside is beautiful here. On my walk, I saw another one of the lizards that had scared Ursula, back at the Raitha losmen, the one that I had removed for her. I sat in front of it, and drew it, it didn't look half as scary in the day. Apparently, it is called a Bunglon.
I finished my drawing and walked back, Aman had caught a magnificent common carp of about two pounds in weight. I felt really bad that such a lovely fish had to die for our food.
The food was really beautiful, and the carp was gorgeous, I finished my food, said thankyou and went and sat on the varander. I'm sitting here on the varander outside the front of Aman's house, surrounded by curious children, all coming close, and then running away when I lift my head, I think it evolved into a game, and I thoroughly enjoyed my afternoon there.
It started to rain, so I went inside and started stroking the cat, then I noticed the millions of little black things crawling around under his fur, and stopped touching it very quickly.
At 3:30pm, Aman told me that he had to stay and look after his wife, who had become a little ill. I was actually glad to be returning on my own, so at about 4pm, I left, and started making the long journey back to Tasikmalaya.
I got back to Tasikmalaya, and back to the house by 7:30pm, it was a long journey. I was really hungry and had some food, then had a mandi(wash) and then went for a poo, I hadn't been to the toilet since yesterday morning when we left for Garut, because the toilet I was told to use in Garut, was situated where everyone could see you, so I held it.
Sitting back in the house, relaxing on the sofa, just talking and joking about my time away, then I gave Lia a English lesson. I was getting really tired, and decided to go to bed, it was about midnight. I start teaching properly tomorrow at the school, big day tomorrow, ah.
Mari.

11 Comments:

Blogger Kara said...

Great drawings, I think that lizard was actually kind of cute.
(But maybe I would feel differently too if it were running around my room late at night)

Sounds like a pretty laid back place, a lot of down time. A place where you can be alone with your thoughts and really relax. Although, I don't think I could poo with an audience either:)

4:15 pm  
Blogger musicmikey said...

No, me neither Kara, it's not a team sport, anyway, it was a lovely place, although Aman used to really anoy me with his constant rudeness, he was ok, and Garut was great, and so were all Aman's family.
Thanks for posting, take care.
mikey

4:34 pm  
Blogger Model citizen said...

Little lizards are adorable. In Puerto Rico they run up and down the houses, and they're everywhere, just another part of daily life.

I have to admit that I actually CRINGED when I read the cat part, that's fucking disgusting. Eww.

And uh...good choice on not wanting to poop in front of everyone, I don't think I would have either. I would have ran into the jungle or something.

4:44 pm  
Blogger lryicsgrl said...

I'm with Jessica..ewwww. Poor kitty cat. I wonder if it was lice. ICK.!
I think you may have been ready to come home eh?
I love the drawings, brilliant! I know they are in a journal, but did you ever think of framing them? You could put them in heavy wood, funky, frames. Just a thought.
xx
S

5:13 pm  
Blogger Model citizen said...

You should frame them and auction them off! I know we'd have a blast buying them.

5:36 pm  
Blogger musicmikey said...

Hey Jessica, you cringed about the cat, yeah, but he was on my lap for five minutes before I noticed, I'm itching right now.
Hey, and that bunglon was no little fella, there were cute little one's on the walls called chi-jak's, that bunglon was about 2ft long, he wasn't scary in the day, and I wasn't touching him.As for running into the jungle, it's not quite so easy, in that particular place, there were just lakes everywhere, and rice paddy's.
I had to wait, or I should have gone in the middle of the night. Never thought of that. Thanks.
mikey

10:32 pm  
Blogger musicmikey said...

Hi Susie,it's a great thought, and yes, I think that cat had lice, actually there was probably overcrowding issue's on the poor old moggy, he was saturated, although no way did I want to come home, I was loving every day. I'll think more about the pictures idea.
Thanks for posting, take care.
mikey

10:47 pm  
Blogger musicmikey said...

Hi Cara, I really love these old drawings, there all quite small, but appear larger on the blog here, my scanner has been working over time. The very thought that I am painting a picture in your head, is exactly what I suppose I was trying to do, thankyou very much, that means a great deal to me, thankyou for leaving such a generous comment, and thankyou for reading and joining me on this journey, it's funny, I was never that lonely when I was out there, but it feels really lonely now.
mikey

10:54 pm  
Blogger Karel said...

Beautiful drawings, Mikey. The bunglon's are the one that can change color according to where they're latched to right?

And poor kitty. I love cats; and now thinking back, people back home don't really take care of their cats that well..they're always skinny and scrawny....

Can't wait to read about the first day of school!

Karel

5:26 am  
Blogger musicmikey said...

Hey Karel, thanks mate, I didn't know that about them mate, but I sure your right. Yeah, I actually remember saying to Aman, not to treat cat's so horribly in front of me, as I wouldn't stand for it, I think he went to kick it or something.
First day of school was pretty good, and I got paid. Thanks for posting teman.
mikey

4:01 pm  
Blogger Nabonidus said...

I was goingto say that the bunglon looked adorable, but I could see where at 2 feet in size would change things a bit. :)
You know what's weird, Mikey? I had wondered why days went by with no new Indonesian posts, suddenly just now I received 5 new ones, all at once! And since it's clear that everyone has been commenting, it has to have been on my end! Although various fellow bloggers that you would recognize also said that they had the same problems yesterday.
So I am only now seeing these "new" journal entries! Weird.

4:29 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home